18 August 2020
What is Psoriasis?
- Long term & NON-infectious condition affecting 1 in 50 people
- Male and female have equal risks
- Can occur at any age
- 3 body systems are involved in psoriasis
What is the cause of psoriasis?
- Genetic – inheritance is complex
- Environmental factors that may trigger psoriasis
- stress, infections, skin trauma, sunburn, certain medications alcohol
- smoking & obesity – poor response to treatment
What are the signs and symptoms of psoriasis ?
- Commonly involves the scalp, behind the ears, belly button, lower back, elbows and knees
- The affected skin can be itchy, painful, or has no symptoms
- The affected area is well-defined and thickened, dry, pinkish with silvery-white scales
- Occasionally, there maybe painful pustules
- Nails may show indentation, discolouration, separation from the base, and complete destruction
- Joints may develop stiffness, swelling, pain, and result in deformities
What is the treatment?
Psoriasis is managed by dermatologists and rheumatologists.
There is no cure for psoriasis.
Treatments are available to control the disease.
- Medications applied on skin
- Ultraviolet light therapy
- Systemic treatment – tablets/ injections
Lifestyle modification is advisable as following
- Weight control
- Smoking cessation
- Abstinence from alcohol
Article By: Dr. Ng Fei Yin,